Outreach and Training
School Crisis Response
The Center for Grieving Children provides support to schools when students and staff are impacted by the sudden death or serious illness of one of its members. With the right supports in place, a time of tragedy can also be a time of supporting each other through the grief process and strengthening community. The Center’s school crisis response services are primarily available in Southern Maine.
Consultation and Phone Support
We can provide phone consultation in responding to the death of a student or staff at your school. This could include guidance on talking with staff, students, and parents, refer you to other resources in your area, and help you understand the needs of various age groups.
On Site Consultation
When possible and if needed, Center staff will travel to your school and provide assistance to teachers and administrators in the event of a death or serious illness. This is an opportunity for school staff to ask questions, plan their response for staff, students, and families during this difficult time, and identify unmet needs for the school community.
Education and Training – At Your Site or Ours – From lunch-time presentations to comprehensive workshops for starting a peer grief support program, we offer trainings customized to meet your goals and objectives. Common topics include:
- Supporting grieving children and teens
- Helping families face serious illness
- Healing after collective loss (war, natural disaster, etc)
- Intercultural approaches to grief and loss
- Group facilitation and the use of art and expressive modalities with children
Interested in our
Outreach and Training Services?
Group Meeting Schedules
For more information about our peer support groups in Portland and Sanford, please get in touch with us using our contact information below.
Portland Group Schedule
- Monday Evening: Tender Living Care
- Tuesday Evening: Bereavement
- Tuesday Evening: Young Adult
- Wednesday Evening: Bereavement
- Wednesday Evening: Bereaved Parents
- Thursday Evening: Widow / Widower / Partner
- Thursday Evening: Young Adults
Location: 555 Forest Ave, Portland, ME
Sanford Group Meeting Schedule
- Wednesday Evening: Bereavement Support